Wednesday 27 June 2007

Eating Out - Gilby's Restaurant, Cardiff.

It's been about 5 years since I last ate at Gilby's near Culverhouse Cross. It always had a reputation of being a "cut above" and 5 years ago I must admit to having an excellent meal there, so it was with this memory that I booked a table for our 2nd Wedding Anniversary.

The premises is split into the restaurant itself and a reception area with bar. The reception was packed and after ordering a drink at the bar we were forced to stand for 10 minutes until someone was called to the restaurant and we could grab a seat. It took about 30 minutes for someone to come and take our order and a further 30 minutes and a complaint before we were told our table was ready. I was not impressed at having to wait a whole hour after our reservation time to get a table. Then to add insult to injury the Maitre de's excuse for the delay was that "everybody had ordered the complicated dishes tonight". The obvious reply was "well they shouldn't be on the menu if the kitchen can't cope with cooking them."

Last time I was here I ordered
beef capaccio and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was pleased it was still on the menu and ordered it again. Mrs A had the divers scallops. The capaccio was good, but not as good as I remembered, but the scallops were excellent quality.

For main course I took the veal and Mrs A the sole. Both dishes were of excellent quality meat and fish respectively, but did not excite the pallet. They were just high quality, plain cooked food.

We can't remember what we had for dessert. Which I think speaks for itself.

Gilby's is high quality ingredients, simply cooked. If you are looking for something exciting or just a little different you won't find it here. Is it as good as it was 5 years ago? No. Would I go again? Not in a hurry, maybe another 5 years.

Price? 3 courses for 2 people and coffee was £101. I've eaten much better for a whole lot less!

Gilbys Restaurant, Old Port Road, Culverhouse Cross, Cardiff. CF5 6DN
Tel: 029 2067 0800
http://www.gilbysrestaurant.co.uk/


No comments: